Press and Publications
- New Update from CVJHP December 2020
- Jewish heritage in the Atlantic (Jewish Heritage in the Atlantic) Jüdische Allgemeine, January 2020
- Jüdisches Erbe im Atlantik (Jewish Heritage in the Atlantic) Jüdische Allgemeine, January 2020
- Rededication of Jewish cemeteries in Santo Antão US Embassy in Praia, Cabo Verde, November 2018
- In ‘small antidote to anti-Semitism,’ Jewish graves rededicated in Cape Verde Times of Israel, November 2018
- (Not Europe but…) Revitalizing Jewish heritage in Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Europe, November 2018
- 19th-century Jewish graves Rededicated in Cape Verde AP Article, November 2018
This article was picked up by more than two dozen international publications from The New York Times and The Washington Post to Nigeria, Sierra Leone and Weirton, West Virginia!
- Rediscovering and Restoring Cape Verde’s Jewish Heritage, Moment, October 2018
- Maryland synagogue to celebrate Cape Verde’s Jewish heritage, March 10, The Times of Israel, March 8, 2018
- Sephardic Jews in US Thank King Mohammed VI for Restoring Cemeteries in Cape Verde, The North Africa Post, March 12, 2018
- Cape Verde Lists Jewish Cemeteries as Heritage Sites, JTA, August 6, 2017
- Cape Verde Lists Jewish Cemeteries as Heritage Sites, The Times of Israel, August 6, 2017
- Signing ceremony between CVJHP and Ministry of Culture, Facebook, October 5, 2016 (downloadable PDF)
- Jewish group finds Gibraltar connection, Panorama, June 2015
- Cape Verde Works to Preserve Jewish Heritage, Commentary Magazine, January 2015
- Cape Verde’s Jewish history stays alive, Washington Post, July 2013
- Rededicated burial site among ‘beautiful vestiges’ of Cape Verde’s Jewish presence, JNS. Org, May 2013
- Jewish burial site restored off African coast with help from Morocco’s king, Haaretz, May 2013
- Jewish burial site restored off African coast, The Times of Israel, May 2013
- KELLNER: Reclaiming a Jewish legacy in an unlikely place, Washington Times, May 2013
- On an Atlantic isle, Morocco honours its lost Sephardim, The JC.com, May 2013
- Africa’s Jewish Heritage In Cape Verde, NPR, May 2013 (Audio interview)
- Morocco king co-funds renovation of Cape Verde Jewish burial site, JTA, April 2013
- Article from El Djudio, December 2012 (downloadable PDF)
- Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project gets help from Frank, The Jerusalem Post, December 2010
- Cape Verdean municipalities advance Jewish preservation, JTA, December 2010
- Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project gets help from Frank, The Jerusalem Post, December 6, 2010
- Article from the Washington Diplomat, March 30, 2009 (downloadable PDF)
- JTA, March 19, 2009 | Article from JTA, March 19, 2009 (downloadable PDF)
- Larry Luxner. “Rediscovering the Jewish Heritage of Cape Verde.” B’nai B’rith, Winter 2009.
- Richard Greenberg. “Preserving a Jewish Niche Group Seeks to Honor the Ghosts of Cape Verde.” Washington Jewish Week, March 25, 2009.
- Nathan Guttman “Honoring Cape Verde’s Jewish History”, The Jewish Daily Forward, March 24, 2009 | Nathan Guttman. “Honoring Cape Verde’s Jewish History.” The Jewish Daily Forward, March 24, 2009. (downloadable PDF)
- “Cape Verde Heritage Project Launched.” Jewish Telegraphic Agency, March 19, 2009).
- Larry Luxner. “Cape Verde’s Jewish Roots.” Diplomatic Pouch, March 30, 2009.
- New December 2019 Update from CVJHP
- New Giving Tuesday Update from CVJHP, December, 2019
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2018
- CVJHP Update: Cabo Verde on the Global Jewish Map, April 2018
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2017
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2016
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2015
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2014
- Video update on the rededication ceremony in Cape Verde, April 15, 2013
- Jewish Burial Site to be Rededicated in Cape Verde, April 2, 2013
- News from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December 28, 2012
- A Note from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December 4, 2012
- A Note from Cape Verde Jewish Heritage Project, December, 2011
Articles in Portuguese
- Dois cemitérios judaicos restaurados na ilha de Santo Antão regressam à comunidade SAPO Notícias, November 2018
- Santo Antão: Cemitérios de judeus de Penha de França e Ponta do Sol re-dedicados em Novembro (c/áudio), Inforpress, 22/09/18
- Património Judaico de Ponta Delgada serve de exemplo para projecto em Cabo Verde, 19-08-2018
- Ângela Coutinho: Historiadora fala da importância dos judeus no desenvolvimento económico, intelectual e desportivo de Cabo Verde Expresso das Ilhas, Agosto 2017
- Heranca Judaica em Cabo Verde Declarada Patrimonio Historico e Cultural Nacional, Expresso das Ilhas, Julho 2017
- A herança judaica é parte da identidade cabo-verdiana, Expresso das Ilhas, Agosto 2015
- Judeus em Cabo Verde, Rede Angola, Susana Moreira Marques, 2012
- Em reabilitação na Boa Vista, ASemana, December 2012
- Câmara quer recuperar património judaico no Município, ASemana, June 2010
- Comunidade judaica em Cabo Verde diluiu-se com o tempo, mas deixou marcas Saponoticias, Maio, 2013
- “Sepulturas judaicas da Praia vao ser recuperadas e conservadas,” A Semana, 12 Junho 2010.
- “Boa Vista: Camara quer recuperar patrimonio judaico no Municipio,” A Semana, 13 Junho 2010.
- “Heranca Judaica em Cabo Verde: Projecto Quer Honrar a contribuicao dos judaicos em Cabo Verde,”, Expresso das Ilhas, 11 Junho 2010
Articles in French
- Deux cimetières juifs restaurés au Cap Vert avec l’aide du roi Mohammed VI HuffPost, November 2018
- La contribution de S.M. le Roi à un projet de réhabilitation au Cap-Vert des cimetières des juifs originaires du Maroc hautement saluée, Le Matin, March 12, 2018
- Marocains juifs du Cap-Vert : Les derniers héritiers, L’observateur du Maroc et d’Afrique, Mai 2015
- “Projet du patrimoine juif du Cap-Vert”, retour sur une migration peu connue des juifs marocains, Map Express, April 2015
- Carol Castiel. “Recovering Jewish Heritage in the Cape Verde Islands.” Historic Cities and Sacred Places(proceedings of World Bank Symposium), 2000 .
- Claudia Correia (Cape Verdean Historian). The Presence of Jews in Cape Verde: Inventory of Historical Documents from 1840-1927. Doctoral dissertation. 1998.
- Dr. M. Mitchell Serels. The Jews of Cape Verde: A Brief History, Sepher-Hermon Press, Inc.: 1997.
- Israel Benoliel. “Book Review: The Jews of Cape Verde: A Brief History, Israel Benoliel, Cimboa.” Cultural Magazine of Cape Verde, 1997.
- Carol Castiel. “Cape Verde Hosts Jews.” Washington Jewish Week, 1995. (Portuguese and French translations of the above article appeared respectively in the newspapers Novo Jornal of Cape Verde and Le Maroc Hebdo of Morocco, 1995.)
Please email info@CapeVerdeJewishHeritage.org for a press kit.